The World Veterinary Association has set every last Saturday of April as World Veterinary Day to praise the veterinary community. In 2020, veterinary professionals will celebrate their day on the 25th of April.
In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about World Veterinary Day 2020!
Theme of World Veterinary day
Each year the World Veterinary Association (WVA) and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) choose a topic to promote and educate about the important role of veterinarians on the matter.
“Environmental protection for improving animal and human health” is the theme of 2020
The earth gives us everything we need to live. It is our home and the home of countless species. Our responsibility is to take care of our environment.
The 2020 theme celebrates the participation of veterinary professionals in supporting sustainability and protecting the environment. It is also an opportunity for veterinarians to exchange innovative ideas and learn other approaches to keep raising awareness on how harmful actions towards the environment can affect animals and humans.
World Veterinary Day Award
Any WVA member has the chance to apply for the World Veterinary Day Award 2020. The award provides recognition to a veterinary association that gives an exceptional contribution to the protection of the environment.
Below is a compilation of some activities that winners from previous years performed in order to spread knowledge about the theme of the year:
- Uganda Veterinary Association (2018 winner) appeared in press conferences and radio talks. They also produced documentaries and seminars
- The National Council of the Order of Veterinarians of France (2017 winner) started a project called Ecoantibio Plan to reduce the risk related to the use of antibiotics in veterinary medicine.
- College of Veterinarians of Costa Rica and the Costa Rican National Animal Health Service (2015 winner) executed a campaign on the prevention of West Nile fever and equine encephalitis. During the campaign, they formed the Costa Rican Society of Specialist in Zoonosis.
Every member that wishes to apply for the World Veterinary Day Award 2020 will need to provide evidence of activities encouraging environmental protection by the 25th of May 2020. More information HERE.
The winner will receive a prize of USD$2500 to fund new projects, give scholarships, reward team members, afford new equipment, and other investments they consider necessary. There will also be a ceremony to honor the winner, and it can take place in their country or the 2021 WVA Congress.
How to celebrate World Veterinary day?
If you are a veterinary professional, there are many ways you can celebrate World Veterinary Day, including:
- Sharing your thoughts on social media about the 2020 theme.
- Writing a blog or social media post about why you love working in the veterinary field or thanking your co-workers for their hard work.
- Make it special by purchasing a gift or a thank you card for your team.
- Have a meeting with your team members about environmental protection and try to organize an action plan to raise awareness about the topic.
- Create flyers and posters with ways that pet owners can support the preservation of the environment.
If you wanted to learn more about World Vet Day and came across this article as a pet owner, here are some ideas on how you can show appreciation to veterinary medicine :
- Make your vet’s day by buying them a gift or a thank you card. I Love Veterinary has a great post on the best gifts for World Veterinary Day.
- Spend the day with your pet and look for changes you can make to improve their quality of life.
- Donate to an animal charity in honor of your vet’s clinic.
- Leave a great review on your vet’s Facebook page about their outstanding service and love for animals.
Should you get gifts for the veterinary staff?
World Veterinary Day is a special occasion to acknowledge the dedication of everyone involved in veterinary medicine.
Gifts are always appreciated, but this decision is entirely up to you! Even saying thank you or baking cookies for the veterinary staff can mean a lot to them.
If you are a pet owner or work in a vet clinic and want to buy a gift for the veterinary team, make sure to look for presents and prices that suit your budget.
We want to thank everyone involved in the veterinary world for their dedication and willingness to help animals, even in difficult times.
You are the voice for the ones who cannot speak.
HAPPY WORLD VETERINARY DAY!
Do you want to learn more about how World Veterinary Day was established? Find out the history behind Veterinary Day with this article.